If you are allergic or intolerant towards eggs, having breakfast or any meal that contains them can be difficult. It’s time to try an egg replacement! To be honest, if you notice the difference, you must have super-sensitive tastebuds. You can make these crepes or pancakes either sweet or savoury and start to finish in less than half an hour.
Serves: 8 small to medium sized crepes/pancakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes including standing time
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes per pancake/crepe
Suitable for: Egg intolerance, SF, NF
125g plain flour
Egg replacement – equivalent amount of one whole large egg, per manufacturer’s instructions
Small amount of butter (approx. 25g), enough to stop crepes sticking
Berries or other fruit, or savoury items such as prawns, mixed vegetables etc, spinach, citrus, anything you enjoy
- Place your flour in a mixing bowl and make a medium sized dip or well in the centre. Pour in the egg replacer and a little of the milk (about a quarter) and whisk (an electric whisk makes things easier and speedier).
- Add more milk, gradually, to ensure that the mixture is lump-free. Once the batter is ready, leave to stand for around 20 minutes to half an hour.
- When ready to cook, melt the butter in a frying pan over a low to medium heat. Stir the batter again before using.
- When the butter is foaming, swish it around the frying pan to coat all over, then add a small amount of batter, just enough to cover the pan – these will ensure the crepe-style texture, nice and thin, easy to fold if you require.
- Test to see if the crepe is golden brown on one side, by just lifting the edge gently, when ready, flip it over gently and cook until golden brown on the other side.
- Repeat this process each time you cook a new crepe, adding a little more butter each time if the pan is dry.
- Stack the pancakes with a piece of baking parchment or greaseproof between each one and place somewhere warm until ready to eat.
- Serve with your choice of fruit or another ingredient and ready to enjoy!
Nutrition: 92 calories (without filling)